Victoria Park Community Cricket League

Home
Contact us
About us
Results+Fixtures
League tables
Constitution
Rules

 

Committee Meeting December 2008 Minutes |  Back to News Index

Victoria Park Community Cricket League
Committee meeting

Tuesday December 2, 2008
7.30 pm
Held at the White Swan, Highbury Corner, Islington

Present:
Bert Vandermark (Life President)
Rizwan Siddiqui (Chairman)
Tim Castle (Secretary)
Peter Hollman (Fixtures Secretary)
Steve Hill (Committee member)
Mark Laurie (Committee member)

Apologies:
Nigel Richards (Treasurer)
Paul Williams (Committee member)
Gary Horsman (Committee member)

The meeting was held to review the 2008 season and prepare for the AGM in March, consider proposed rule changes and to discuss the way forward on various issues.

The meeting was quorate under Rule 5 of the league constitution: “The Hon. Secretary shall notify all Committee members of the date and venue of Committee meetings. Five members are required to form a quorum at meetings.

Agenda:
- Review of 2008 season
- Fix date for 2009 AGM
- Any proposed rule changes for 2009
- Any changes of officers
- Coordinating pitch bookings with VP Juniors
- Ways to speed up pitch payments to council
- Ways to ensure non-league sides turn up for Cup games
- Payment for entering results on website
- Teams who have asked to join in 2009
- AOB

Summary

It was agreed that the season went well as did the new start time rule (Rule 4).

For the new season the committee is not proposing any rule changes and proposes to use the time this will free up at the AGM to make sure teams understand existing rules – and how to fill in a scorebook correctly.

The focus in 2009 will be on enforcing the ones we have already, in particular on:
- scores
- payments
- white clothing

The committee expects captains to enforce the rules

Review

It was proposed that the league experiment with pink and green balls in April and August to help visibility.

The new rule requiring an exchange of team sheets (Rule 27) was largely ignored. PH said this hampered his ability to collect individual scoring records from the website, as player names were inconsistent.

Agreed that teams should submit a list of expected squad players at the start of the season to assist in spellings.

Some teams had been unaware that points would not be carried over to the second stage league games. If the same formula is used in 2009, this will be made clear in advance.

Fixtures Secretary to contact non-league teams in week before their Cup games to remind them of fixture – three non-league teams failed to fulfil their fixtures this summer – SJ Berwin, Mile End Village and Squirrels.

Agreed that the rule requiring white clothing should be enforced (Rule 9)

PH will coordinate fixtures with Vic Park Juniors – MH said the Juniors had no games, just practices. PH to contact Council pitch bookings in advance to ensure they reserve pitches for league.

Finances
The council’s bill for pitch hire was paid late as the bank rejected TC’s signature. Proposed that more committee members become authorised signatories of the league account.

Agreed that non-league teams must pay up front before playing in Cup. Treasurer (NR) must give confirmation to fixtures secretary that money has been received. Cut off to be President’s Game (when Cup draw is made)

All league teams to bring 2009 payment to the AGM.

Results / website

Agreed that a fee of £1.50 per game be paid by league to Adam Castle for inputting results into league website.

Agreed that the penalty for late submission of results (no points awarded) should be enforced (Rule 16)

Suggested there should be a “Did you know?” page on the website with curious cricketing facts about Victoria Park (MH)

Add leading wicket takers and run scorers to the website Honours Board

Victoria Park development
SH (who is chairman of the Tower Hamlets Cricket Development Partnership) reported about plans to put a grass wicket next to pitch 1 (next to changing rooms) and to move all the other artificial wickets.

He said he was hoping to get Middlessex Cricket Board to fund groundsman training so the pitch would be properly looked after. The pitch would be the home of an elite Tower Hamlets Club that would play in the Middlesex League.

The Committee said it was concerned that putting a grass wicket next to an artificial strip would result in the league being unable to use that strip on a regular basis – particularly in damp conditions.
SH and MH agreed to take these concerns back to the Council/Park planners.

New teams
At least three interested sides, East London CC, Ed Greening CC, Baring/Interavinit

The meeting closed around 9:30pm








 

 

 

Back to top | back to home